What's keeping us here? What invisible force around us is keeping us in check to stay where we are, do what we are supposed to do, and be the people we are expected to be? I often imagine a day when I pack up my jeans, v-necks, and assortment of shoes for all occasions to go on a self-appointed quest; a lofty venture into the world with no clue where I am going. Arriving city to city with a new name every night, I could be anyone I wanted with no one the wiser. There wouldn't be schedules. There wouldn't be worries. There would just be me. You would never hear my name again except in odd moments when you look around and ask, "Where did David go?" People would shrug and people would move along.

And don't think I've forgotten about you. No, the CQ knows. You've thought the same thing too. You've been sitting next to the window in lit class on a warm spring day imagining leaping out and running 'til you were somewhere you had never been before. Instead, we both leave class, go home and keep the clockwork turning. I want my wrench. I want to throw it as hard as I can into the gears, stop time and live on impulse. Where's you wrench? We both have them right in our hands, we are just too afraid of the big, wide world to throw them.

So I will be here today. And probably the next day. But one day, I have to break free. You have to break free. We're called "queer" so live queer. Do queer things. Leap out the window. Maybe I'll see you on the yellow brick road.

Over and Out,
CampusQueer