Well I'm no business professional, but I assume that trannies don't make it far in the hiring process. Except maybe for RuPaul's Drag Race or Dr. Witt's receptionist offices. You can put on your zoot suits and your business best, but there exists a far more telling presence than yourself. Your online presence. Your "fame monster." What does your facebook and twitter say about you? Mine sure as hell says alot that I may not want everyone to think. I know that and I STILL let things invade it that make me just look like a damn tranny hot mess. And on some accounts, I may just be. But that doesn't mean I need to sling my cat around the Internet willy nilly. It's time to edit myself. And you should do the same.

Social media may be killing us.

I don't think that means forsaking everyone and acting like Mr. PrissyPants PoostyTwat. Just edit. Look at what you have, figure out what says what about you, and make decisions that protect your future rather than make you look cute now. Because what's fun now is just sad later. We are drunk off Facebook and the hangover is coming gurl.

Some of you already do this. Good. Some of us don't. Or perhaps think we do, but don't. My Birmingham momma (C. R.) always warns me of the potential danger I pose to myself with the tranny show that is my Facebook. I know he's right. I know to fix it. I just haven't because the real world has been existing outside of my happy bubble of college life. With a year before that bubble bursts, I'm now faced with the reality that has been looming. I want to be a wedding designer. What bride wants a cracked out, bumbling little boy putting together the biggest day of her life? Well, not a bride that I want at least.

I think once we all hit that senior year or so, it's time to start getting our shit together. Wouldn't you agree? Be proactive. Don't just try to even clean up your act. Polish it. Start creating a true presence that people want to look at. Invest in yourself. As RuRu always says, "If you can't love yourself, how the HELL you gonna love anyone else?" I think that fits into the moral of this story.

Don't let your own talents be marred by your "Facebook Fame." Edit yourself and evaluate what really matters. Gays have more fun. We all know it. We no longer have to prove it. So that one photo with you motor-boating a drag queen while spilling a drink on a gap tooth lesbian may have to go. It doesn't mean we're going to forget it happened.

Control, right-click, delete. 


Over and Out,
CampusQueer