Negative. That's right queerlings, the results are in and your queer on campus is HIV negative and happy. Now there wasn't some huge shadow around the idea for me, but since the SOC 360 class and WAAO teamed up to make testing available at the Ferg yesterday and today, I knew there was no other choice. Free testing is provided always by the West Alabama AIDS Outreach here in Tuscaloosa, but with it being made so convienent as just a few hundred yards from where I sit now, I had to oblige. I always speak for HIV/AIDS awareness, so I have to practice what I preach. This was my second test to date and much easier and less faint-worthy than last time. I had to give blood. Ick.

A lot of people my age like to talk about what they think HIV/AIDS is. A lot of people like to talk about people who are living with what has now become a manageable disease with proper healthcare. But not many people my age are even sure of their status, much less the facts of a disease clouded by stigmas and hearsay. The only way to know is to get tested. Don't go to the Student Health Center. Bad decision. They will drip your blood dry and blow up a huge testing charge on your student bill. And from what I hear, confidentialtiy does not run high. If you haven't been tested in the last year, but have been getting your moist debbie cake ravaged, get tested. Protect yourself and protect the people with whom you share yourself. As I always say, "What's scarier? Getting the test and knowing for sure? Or not knowing and making it worse for yourself and others?" There is power in prevention and early detection.


Over and Out,
CampusQueer