Around 8th or 9th grade I told all my friends that this "Hip Hop Nation" trend would very soon evolve into a dance/electro trend. Like much of every other trend mainstream America eventually embraces, it descended from European club scenes and gays everywhere. As I was posting my most recent string of QueerHear videos, I noticed several were all featuring Ultra Records artists pairing up with hot hip hop artists. This isn't necessarily sudden. It's been trickling in with records such as David Guetta's hits with Kelly Rowland and Will. I. Am. in the past couple of years. Recently at Icon we all heard a song that made us all look at each other asking, "What the fuck is this sextastic song?" Now we know it was Chris Brown and Benny Benassi's "Beautiful People." This trend is on it's way to defining the gay club scene and then of course mainstream radio after we're over it. For a while at least. I'd say you can start looking at the UltraRecords YouTube to keep up with what's hot in music. Not saying that's anything new at all since UR is the host to all the major dance gods. But pay particular interest to ones that feature vocals by hip hop artists, because what dance has always been lacking is a strong lyrical base. So keep an eye out for the big blue splat. Those are the hits waiting to happen.


Over and Out,
CampusQueer