I don't like to listen to hate and I sure as hell won't consume it. Recently I've seen your links about Chick-Fil-A's recent raising of their corporate evangelicalism bar. I mean, roll right on with being proud of your Christian principles in the running of your business. Even your hiring process is said to be operated by Fred Phelps himself. Well if Abercrombie & Fitch is only hiring good-looking employees, then by all means you should hire morally-staunch fry cooks Chick-Fil-A. But when they start making contributions to anti-gay organizations, even at just the local level, you start to step on my toes a bit. Especially when the best PR you can respond with is, "Well, yeah. . . um, we actually don't like the gays. . ." I can't allow my dollars to support a business that will turn around and use that money to feed the gluttonous mouths of Middle America's need to fight everything they don't understand.

Some students have united against the franchise, demanding their schools remove the campus locations. I'm not here to ask for that. I don't like their stance on the issue, but I can't demand that everyone else have the consequence of my beliefs. If other students like Chick-Fil-A and are not bothered by their anti-gay sentiments, I have to accept their difference and patronage. What I have to do is start small. Start as an individual. I will not eat Chick-Fil-A. While the grilled chicken sandwich may have become a staple in my campus lunch routine, I can find other options just as easily. I will not eat Chick-Fil-A. It's a silent move and unnoticeable in their annual report that CampusQueer did not continue to "eat mor chikin." But it was there. And it could grow. Or not. Either way I did what was right for me and the people about whom I care. I will not eat hate. Please join me.


Over and Out,
CampusQueer