It never ends. Dr. Witt has promptly addressed that racial slurs were chalked onto a column at Moody Music Building at some point on Tuesday, October 11. I've included the above photo to document what all students received and here is the quote a little more legibly:

“I learned late Tuesday afternoon that an unknown person or persons had chalked offensive words on a column of Moody Music Building. While the entire community would certainly be offended by this language, it could be particularly upsetting to African Americans.

“The words were removed as soon as they were discovered. However, I want to emphasize in the strongest possible terms that The University of Alabama finds this behavior totally unacceptable and strongly condemns any use of these words on our campus. Every effort will be made to identify and appropriately punish the individual(s) responsible.

“This University respects and values each member of our community. I hope that every decision will reflect that commitment.“  - Dr. Robert E. Witt, UA President
Have we not learned anything this year? It's time after time after goddamn time that we as a campus allow these things to anger us, but be swept away by most until we realize that the cockroach in the corner is indeed not dead and crawling over our face at night . . . with a piece of chalk. I grow more ashamed every day of individuals who tarnish the reputation of the school that will hand me a degree and more so by the community as a whole that lets this happen day in and day out. Governor Wallace might as well be running up and down the steps of every college at UA. I'm sick of the parents that have raised these sick children of theirs to perpetuate the hate they demonstrate because they're so goddamn elitist and too stupid to realize they have no right to set themselves so high.

I'm sick of a campus that praises giant, incessant messages chalked for Unashamed and defaces those for Alabama Atheists. I'm sick of a campus that gives birth to and perpetuates corrupt government policy makers and covers for their ass when they've been caught doing exactly what we suspected them doing all along. I'm sick of a school that smiles and shakes their heads so solemnly to acts of racism and preach a doctrine of diversity that is only reflected in the profits. I'm sick and tired of this school and what my degree is going to reflect to the rest of the world. I went to a school that went against everything I believe in knowing full well what was happening on our sidewalks, in our classrooms, and behind closed doors.

I let myself remain a second-class student.

And an passive aggressive e-mail to the student body is not going to fix that.


Not Over But Still Out,
CampusQueer