Do you often watch the Logo channel? Personally, I'm tuned in constantly for RuPaul's Drag Race (as you should as well,) 1 Girl 5 Gays and the occasional other mess that they manage to let seep on the network for the embarrassment of us all. Well you may be surprised to hear that Logo will soon be gutted to become the "new Bravo" according to unicornbooty.com. That's right. Logo will no longer be an LGBT channel as much as just another LGBT-friendly channel.

Queerty.com reported this quote from Lisa Sherman, general manager of the Logo network:

“From our research, gay people are living far more integrated lives that before,” says Sherman (left), referencing a study Logo conducted with Starcom Mediavest Group that indicated 53% of LGBTs didn’t see showcasing their orientation as a priority and only 30% “preferred living and socializing in exclusively gay and lesbian communities.”
“Being gay is an important part of their lives but it’s not what they lead with,” she explains. “So if we’re going to keep to that idea of displaying their lives, we need to reflect that new reality.”
Well that's all fine and dandy. You know, I love to go to every other bar in town where I can hang out with all kinds of people and know my gay friends and I are also welcome, but at some point I just want to go to the damn gay bar where it's all gay, all the time. (Thanks Icon!) I can still be myself at the other bars, but I can't very well go in my god-awful drag or kiss my boyfriend. We live in a heteronormative society that may have outlets for us to feel accepted, as long as we still constrain ourselves to the conservative side of the perceived gay culture.

In the end, it's all about the dolla-dolla bill. Logo let CRAP air. RuPaul is the only thing that's been saving them with her million variations on the word "drag" and drag reality (What an oxymoron?) A  few wigs and the occasional eleganza can only do so much. They made went for poorly-produced, stereotypical nonsense that tried to mimic Bravo's moneymakers and failed. I don't understand why it's so hard to produce quality LGBT programming?

This is a disappointing move for Logo. It used to be something that I felt was just for me. Now I'm going to be lumped into a more generic demographic that wants to see shows featuring just one of the Toddler and Tiara things (It's not even honey boo-boo child!) and apparently some mob-daughter finding her way in LA. I didn't need another Bravo, because I already have Bravo. I needed my space in the wide expanse of television's strangle-hold on American life where I felt like the majority. Thanks Logo for making me a minority again.

Over and Out,
CampusQueer